Scott Hardie | August 29, 2005
The celebrity in the picture is the horse. There is a pending guess for the jockey. What do you think, should it be accepted as valid, especially since I have now publicly revealed that the horse is the answer?

Amy Austin | August 29, 2005
Well, funny you should ask, as I wasn't sure and was going to submit *both* (although feeling was that since "Animals" was probably horse) whenever I do... but I also thought that another category was missing that would have added further clarification, too -- although probably changing it to a "very easy" instead of *just* "easy"... ;-)

My personal opinion is that the two are inextricably linked, and since both are pictured and indicated by the clue... Well... if you accepted its programmer along with Deep Blue, then you should probably do the same here??? My two cents...

Mike Eberhart | August 29, 2005
I have to disagree. The primary category is clearly Animals. That, to me, clearly says you're looking for the name of the horse. If you were looking for the jockey, the category would have been Sports, or something like that. I would have to say No.

Scott Horowitz | August 29, 2005
I would say to accept the jockey (considering that is the answer I gave), because a lot of times the clue clearly points to a character and you accept answers for the actor portraying him/her. If you don't accept the jockey, then you are setting a double standard.

Edit: And about you giving the horse/jockey away, if you can't tell that from the goo, then you are an idiot.

Lori Lancaster | August 29, 2005
[hidden by request]

Denise Sawicki | August 29, 2005
Nobody else is going to make that mistake now that you said it is the horse... Scott Horowitz shouldn't be penalized for guessing early. He should get it right. Although I did figure it had to be the horse since the category was "animals".

Well, unless I guessed the wrong Jockey....... but thank you Denise.

I agree with Denise, too, based entirely on what she just said.

Here's another thing... technically a jockey can be viewed as an "animal trainer" and someone who works with animals, therefore it can fit the category.

Lori Lancaster | August 29, 2005
[hidden by request]

Well, Lori, there are other humans in the Animals category... In fact, only 2 only of the 5 are actually non-human animals.

David Mitzman | August 30, 2005
In a first, I will agree with Horowitz and say Hardie should accept the jockey as the answer. "racer" could be construed as either the horse or the jockey, so it's unfair to throw away the answer.
So I'm saying give it to Ho, and if I'm saying it you should because I hate him

Jackie Mason | August 30, 2005
[hidden by request]

Amy Austin | August 30, 2005
But, now everyone knows for sure -- so Scott will be the only one penalized... don't you guys think that might be a little unfair? I don't know how Scott Hardie would have prevented this, either, other than to hold the guess as "pending" until the goo expired... but I know how irritating *that* is, too! ;-D But perhaps that is what should happen in the future???

Lori Lancaster | August 30, 2005
[hidden by request]

Scott Hardie | August 31, 2005
For the record, I wouldn't list a jockey in the Animals category, or even cross-list him there. The programmer in the Deep Blue photograph would be still listed in Invention & Technology, and an actor playing a cinematic character would still be listed in Cinema. But my category classifications are subjective and imperfect and probably sometimes inconsistent, so I wouldn't hold Scott to them too closely. Consensus seems to favor counting the guess as valid, so I'll do it. Thanks for commenting.

Scott Horowitz | August 31, 2005
You're the man now dog, Scott!

Want to participate? Please create an account a new account or log in.