Scott Hardie | June 6, 2003
The American Film Institute really likes Top-100 lists. They release a new one each year with the goal of getting people talking about cinema, and I'm happy to oblige. Their latest list is the greatest heroes and villains in American film history. What do you make of the results? Any major omissions?

Lori Lancaster | June 6, 2003
[hidden by request]

Scott Hardie | June 9, 2003
I disagree with a few of their choices only because they're too recent, for instance #50 on both lists. Show me how either one demonstrates cultural impact or legacy? As their replacements I suggest Jim Stark from "Rebel Without a Cause" as hero and John Doe from "Se7en" as villain, both of which have inspired numerous imitations in subsequent films.

Jackie Mason | June 9, 2003
[hidden by request]

Matthew Preston | June 14, 2003
The SOL in this case stands for "Statute of Limitations."

In recent discussions of movies with friends and co-workers, I have found that most people do not keep their conversations spoiler-free when in ear shot of others. It got me to thinking about at what point in time is it okay to discuss a film in front of others with spoilers? A statute of limitations so to speak, on the timeframe that a movie has been in release before it is okay to reveal the ending, major plot points, etc.

Personally, I will only reveal spoilers from movies that have been out for years, or of classics that you must be a shut in to not have seen or heard about at this point. At work, we have come to the consensus that if a movie has made it's release to DVD or video, it is now safe to discuss. Any other thoughts?

Scott Hardie | June 14, 2003
I'll let other people answer the question before me, but I want to mention that one of my worst moviegoing memories was coming out the theater after seeing "The Others." The rest of my friends wanted to stop for a smoke break before we left, so we stood right in front of the theater, and naturally we started talking about the movie. They stood right there at the theater entrance, loudly discussing the big surprise at the end of the movie, while people were walking in for the next show and glaring at them. I felt so sorry and I finally convinced my friends to move away from the theater while they continued their conversation. I think Kelly was the only other one who noticed.

Anna Gregoline | June 15, 2003
Yeah that movie was ruined for me long before I saw it. Oh well.

Jackie Mason | June 15, 2003
[hidden by request]

Want to participate? Please create an account a new account or log in.