Erik Bates | October 7, 2005
[hidden by request]

Lori Lancaster | October 7, 2005
[hidden by request]

Amy Austin | October 7, 2005
Hahaha...
I didn't know he had died, either, and now I guess that's why the post about dead celebrities, huh.

The thing I remember most about "Get Smart" is that it used to come on at 11 o'clock at night when I was a kid... way past my bedtime! But even back then, I was a nightowl and could rarely fall asleep before that -- I would lie awake with my little black stuffed AM-radio-containing toy poodle and listen to Billy Joel or whatever good 70s pop music I could find on it, while my folks watched TV in the den. Until I heard the "Get Smart" theme music -- which, for some odd reason, intrigued the hell out of me... especially the doors slamming as he walked down that long secret corridor to CONTROL -- I was always dying to know what that big noise was! And I could hear the whole show from my bedroom (I think it always kind of bothered me that they weren't a lot quieter after we went to bed and then expected us to actually go to sleep!), but I didn't really know what was going on. Coincidentally (and maybe a bit ironically, too), I was really into a book I'd read back then -- "Harriet the Spy" -- and my little sister and I liked to fancy ourselves some kind of great sneaks. So, we'd creep out of our room and crouch behind the sofa to see what was going on out there and on the TV set... thinking, of course, that we were so slick and we'd never get caught or found out (but I think I probably got away with it more whenever Kerry was already asleep and I went solo)! Then our parents would yell at us to get back in our room and in bed, and we'd go running back to bed, giggling all the way (unless, of course, we'd made them *really* mad with too many repeat performances!) It wouldn't be too much longer before they went to bed themselves -- I guess we wore them out. ;-D I wonder how much of "Get Smart" they ever really got to enjoy!

Jackie Mason | October 11, 2005
[hidden by request]

Erik Bates | October 11, 2005
[hidden by request]

Scott Hardie | October 16, 2005
Matt, if you're reading this, please share the "Newhart" story.

No fan of "Get Smart" here; too campy for my taste. I liked "Check It Out!" when I was seven if that counts. I used to imitate Don Adams's bit in the opening credits where he leaned on the pyramid of paper towels at the end of the grocery aisle and it collapsed under his weight.

Want to participate? Please create an account a new account or log in.