Scott Horowitz | June 9, 2006
So, as I'm sure you're all aware the FIFA world cup is going on this year. This is probably the largest sports event in the world (I'd say probably larger than the Olympics). Yet, because soccer is not one of the big 4 sports in the US, it is getting minimal attention from the US Media. I think the US is actually one of the good teams this year (for a change in this)

Anyone have an opinion on why we dislike soccer so much when it is larger than Nascar?

Lori Lancaster | June 9, 2006
[hidden by request]

Scott Hardie | June 10, 2006
Yeah, I don't understand NASCAR fandom either. No disrespect to fans here. It's a legitimate sport that demands a great deal of talent and training to do well, but watching it? Cars go around a track. They come around again. Repeat 73 times. There must be something we're missing.

I bet one reason why soccer isn't more popular here is because we don't like to see our team lose to foreign teams every year. If American athletes routinely performed poorly every Olympics and never won a medal, do you think Olympic sports would be as popular here? Put together something like the Olympic basketball Dream Team of 1992, where we predictably trounce the competition more than two-to-one, and you'll see Americans going nuts for the World Cup. :-)

Steve Dunn | June 13, 2006
Scott, give me plenty of warning, then come to Charlotte for a race. We'll do it up right, and then you'll know. TV doesn't do it justice. You need to have the full-on experience. Then, when you see it on TV, you'll have a context for understanding.

I know people who know people. Give me lots of time to pull it together, and I'll make it happen. Somehow, drinking a case of beer with you and Kris while attending a NASCAR race seems like it ought to be on the top of my list of things to do before I die.

Amy Austin | June 13, 2006
TV doesn't do it justice. You need to have the full-on experience.

This is what I've heard, too. In fact, I met someone on eBay who had recently relocated to the Raleigh area from Texas and had never been into NASCAR. With nothing else to do, she said she attended her first race and became a huge fan. I also have a friend who's another huge fan and works security for NASCAR (this was his goal for a couple of years before retiring from bomb squad and rape/homicide investigations) -- he has said that I should check out a race sometime, too. Charlotte isn't very far from me, either... ;-)

Steve Dunn | June 13, 2006
Goo reunion in Charlotte for a NASCAR race! It'll be like a safari.

All goosters (goobers? geese?) are welcome.

Scott Horowitz | June 14, 2006
I think I don't like NASCAR because I don't enjoy sleeping with my relatives.

(I'm kidding around of course for all you rednecks)

Michael Paul Cote | June 14, 2006
Hey cut it out. I met some of my best dates at family reunions! ):-p And what about the popularity of golf. I love the game, actually enjoy watching it on TV, but I think that until you play it and get sadistically hooked on it, it doesn't carry the same appeal.

Amy Austin | June 15, 2006
Heh... I used to have a shipmate we called "Gooster" -- that's pretty funny. Count me in! (Finances permitting at the time of the event, of course...)

Scott Hardie | June 21, 2006
It's on. I'll see what I can put together – and there will be plenty of notice.

Steve Dunn | June 22, 2006
Strategic planning is the key.

The all-star race is probably the best option for a non-fan. This is true for several reasons, including:

1) It's a short race, so you get to see what it's all about without enduring hours of boredom.

2) It's a night race, so you don't have to sit in the blazing sun.

3) There's extra hoopla. Celebrities, bands, etc., just like an all-star event in any sport.

4) I know some very nice guys who go to the race every year, grill extensively all day, and play "cornhole," which is essentially a redneck version of horseshoes (though perhaps I should not imply that anything can be more redneck than horseshoes). Anyway, via these acquaintances, we have access to: a) a super-secret "bat-cave" entrance to the speedway that bypasses 95% of the traffic and leads to free parking; b) copious amounts of food and beer; and c) an entertaining game to help pass the time.

I have occasionally been known to gain access to luxury boxes and the garage/pit area as well. No promises there, but it's a possibility.

This year's all-star race was on May 20. I don't know if the schedule for next year is set yet, but the 2007 race will be around the same week.

You do not want to go to the Coca Cola 600 (which is the week after the all-star race) because it's: a) 600 miles long; and b) a day race.

The Bank of America 500 is an option. It's on October 14, and it's a night race, so the weather should be nice. If you want to hit that one, we need to begin planning now. Otherwise, target the 2007 all-star race next May.

Steve Dunn | June 22, 2006
By the way, all are welcome. I'm getting positive vibes from Amy already. Kris, you need to come, too, since you're in Durham. Consider it a sociological expedition. Fodder for a scholarly article, or at least a wry essay.

Want to participate? Please create an account a new account or log in.