Scott Hardie | May 10, 2005
Remember when Steve Dunn called me an evil genius?

He was right about the first part.

Amy Austin | May 10, 2005
I don't see how you could possibly have rated this a "medium" then... unless it's solely for my benefit, of course. ;-)

And what the hell is up with leaving all of E's guesses "pending" (or is that for my benefit, too)???

I rated it medium because the celebrity is fairly well-known (bearing in mind that fame is subjective in the Music category), and because the correct answer is not too hard to find if you can avoid the giant pitfall that I set for all the first-day guessers.

My goal was to create chaos in the rankings, and it was half successful: Many players took big hits to their grids, while others will manage to climb up a little. On the other hand, the player most in the lead did not damage her grid. In fact, depending on a few remaining guesses, this goo might only reinforce her lead further.

Not that I believe you think so, Amy, but for the record: My attempt to knock you out of the lead was nothing personal, honest. I try it a few times every round no matter who is in the lead. After all, the same stunt benefitted you at the very end of the last round.

Denise Sawicki | May 10, 2005
Did those guesses say correct earlier in the day or am I just crazy as usual?

They shouldn't have, unless it was some kind of momentary site glitch. I didn't touch them until about half an hour ago.

Amy Austin | May 10, 2005
I didn't mean to sound overly defensive of my lead, if that's how I came across... just seemed like you were messing with me, or something -- after all, you didn't answer the second question...

No, you didn't come across that way at all. I directed my comments at you only because you were the first to reply at that point. :-)

Jackie Mason | May 11, 2005
[hidden by request]

Scott Hardie | May 13, 2005
Almost everyone incorrectly guessed the same celebrity. Anybody know what that means for the game on Monday?

Lori Lancaster | May 13, 2005
[hidden by request]

Jackie Mason | May 14, 2005
[hidden by request]

Scott Hardie | May 14, 2005
Screw waiting until Monday. I'm going to start themed weeks on Sunday from now on like a normal person.

Jerry Mathis | May 17, 2005
So Amerie was one of the first people I looked at. (After I figured out that it wasn't MC Hammer). I knew that she fit the clue pretty well, but then I came across Gabrielle, the UK singer. She had a song called "Out of Reach" (which fit the "Can't touch this" part of the clue), had an album called "Rise" (which was a word in the clue), and has a song called "Tumbling Down" (which seemed to fit the "and fall" part of the clue). And I really couldn't gather anything at all from the gooed picture, so I made a stab at it. Dang it!!! Oh well, it was fun trying to figure it out.

Scott Hardie | May 18, 2005
Well, it was a good try! That's the best incorrect guess I've heard in a while. :-)

Amy Austin | May 18, 2005
What, you didn't like my guess for (0544)???

That was a good guess too. You're the third player so far to make it. But there probably won't be a Do-Over goo of that person, because, well, the subject is only interesting enough to support one goo in the first place. :-)

Amy Austin | May 18, 2005
So am I to assume then that I should have picked "the other one"?

Jackie Mason | May 18, 2005
[hidden by request]

Amy: Probably, yes. Normally when I create a goo that hints at a whole field or a group of people, I try to slip in some kind of specific reference (such as a play on the last name) to hint at which person in particular it is. It wasn't until I had already finished this goo that I realized it lacked such a hint to narrow down the list of possibilities, but I decided to leave it that way and keep it difficult. Guesses have been all over the map.

Incidentally, Amy, the reason I wasn't approving any of Ed's guesses last week was just to mess with you. :-D Telling you why at the time would have defeated the purpose. I hope it didn't tick you off. ;-)

Jackie: I like it too. It's the first time I've ever reused a previous clue verbatim. For a minute I considered slipping in some other celebrity and fooling everyone a second time, but I don't want to be dragged out into the street and shot by an angry mob. :-)

Want to participate? Please create an account a new account or log in.