Scott Hardie | March 20, 2020
How come it seems like every movie or TV show about a grifter ends the same way: A supporting character who seemed innocent turns out to be a con artist too, and the grifter gets ripped off by them? It's just such a predictable ending at this point that not using it would qualify as a twist ending. Harry the Hat on Cheers is the only one that I can think of without that ending, but he was far from the main character. Are there others that I'm not thinking of?

Samir Mehta | March 21, 2020
[hidden by request]

Steve West | March 22, 2020
The Flim Flam Man
The Grifters (I think)
The Sting (that assassin might count)

Want to participate? Please create an account a new account or log in.

Other Discussions Started by Scott Hardie

Picket, Fences

What's your take on the writers' strike? To me, there's a lot of duplicitous double-speak on both sides of the fence, so I don't much care which side "wins" in the end or how soon it gets resolved. Go »

Browser Wars Reignited

It's 2004. 2004! And we're still dealing with issues of browser incompatibility. That was probably my biggest pet peeve when creating web sites back in 1996 and 1997, that some people liked Netscape and some people liked IE, and the elitist attitude among web developers then (and still now) is that you were a clueless dolt if you didn't design for all browsers. Go »

Willow on DVD

"Willow" is one of the few movies that I would define as a guilty pleasure for me: It's a pretty bad movie, but I can't help loving it. Go »

Pathfinder's Path Forward

I doubt that many people reading this are into tabletop RPGs, even though a whole section of this site is about one, but for anyone who is, here's something I've been wondering: Is Pathfinder doomed by the very thing that made it successful, its rigid refusal to change? Go »

Non-Tragic Comedy

In writing a comment to someone's weblog recently, I complimented him on being down-to-earth and not straining to make jokes all the time. Go »

Headers

As you can see, headers on the site have been reorganized in preparation for the "green game" (still a few weeks away at least). Go »