Erik Bates | March 30, 2006
[hidden by request]

Scott Hardie | March 30, 2006
No part. It was a 50/50 guess. (One player did submit a pretty good argument via email, but his reasoning supported the wrong answer.)

Erik Bates | March 30, 2006
[hidden by request]

Mike Eberhart | March 30, 2006
I have to agree with Eric. I was going to post the exact same thing. I knew that the goo had to do with Opie & Anthony, and I also knew that the answer could only be one person. So because of that, I guessed that it was their producer. He has also been fired twice, and he's part of their show. I really didn't find this goo to be fair as the clues always lead to a correct answer no matter how hard it is. I would almost rather guess and Lori's goos then have to try to make pure guesses on goos that don't lead you to a specific answer.

Lori Lancaster | March 30, 2006
[hidden by request]

Scott Horowitz | March 30, 2006
I like challenges in the goo game, but this was an unfair challenge. I lodged a formal protest over this goo, on which I was overruled. This was a pure guessing game, which IMHO, hurts the game as a whole.

Mike Eberhart | March 30, 2006
Lori, you don't have to change the way you write your clues for me. I don't look for your's because they are almost always extremely difficult and I don't want to blow my brains out looking for them. However, having said that, your clues do "actually" point to a specific answer, so keep it up. My problem was that, while the clue for this goo lead you to part of the answer, there was no way to come to a conclusion on who it was. I went with Rick Delgado as my answer because I knew, according to the rules, that the answer had to be one person. I thought for awhile that the answer he was going for was "Opie & Anthony", but I decided that couldn't be right. Their producer, according my research fit the clue as well, because he had previously been fired twice before, and since I couldn't find the source image to compare, I just went with it. This is just my opinion, and it won't stop me from playing, but if more goos are going to be like this one, please let us know of the rule change so I can start thinking more along those lines.

Jerry Mathis | March 30, 2006
The reason I eventually guessed Anthony was his MySpace website, where I not only found the source image, but he also talks about being into all kinds of video games. But I sure wasn't very confident when I made the guess.

Russ Wilhelm | March 30, 2006
Being that I sent the argument, I have to say that I have to agree with Erik and those that follow in his footsteps. It doesn't bother me that it knocked me down in the ranks, I wasn't expecting to be this far up at this point in the round. But,,,

It would be more palatable if it was left up to more than a coin toss. Tell me I interpreted the clue wrong, or missed some minute detail, or that I had absoulutely no idea what was going on. But to be wrong, just because? Ouch!!!

Amy Austin | March 31, 2006
Ditto on Mike Eberhart's statement... right down to logic and guess -- and I was a little mad when I saw that the source image contained both of them, too, because I now also know that Ed guessed "Opie & Anthony" and was wrong... but technically, he was actually the most correct! (I told him that it could only be one person, too... so the fact that he did that was kind of funny, to me... but clearly, *everyone* seemed to know that the answer had *something* to do with Opie & Anthony) -- I'm not as mad about the crap-shoot guess (which it obviously was, though I did almost pick Anthony, before succumbing to exactly the same logic as Mike) as I am about the fact that they were both in the source image as equally as the clue might have indicated! If it weren't for the fact that "there can be only one!" I'd argue that Ed and anyone else who said "Opie & Anthony" deserved to get it right...

Scott Hardie | March 31, 2006
I don't mean to be argumentative here, just to explain my thinking.

Don't forget the third option besides guessing either Opie or Anthony: Not guessing at all. Others may gain a point, but it's better to stay where you are than risk losing a point. Because that option existed all along, I consider the goo... well, if not fair exactly, then fair enough.

It was, of course, designed to be unfair, and to shake up scores at the end of the round, just as I try to do at the end of every round. There's no rule that says the goo has to indicate one person over another in a pair. (Technically, when I designed the gooed image, I did slightly favor Cumia over Hughes for visibility, but after publishing it I decided the difference was negligible and denied that there was any.)

It also doesn't matter that another celebrity appeared in the same photo. I didn't count guesses for Hamid Karzai even though he appeared in Sadoozai Panah's goo. (link)

I don't know if I'll do one like this again someday. Sometimes experimental goos turn out really well, like Helen Keller (all black) and Marcel Marceau (silent clue). Other times they're a disaster, like Reese Witherspoon (off-topic clue) or Amerie (strongly indicating another celeb). Today's new goo, on that note, is the first one not using Latin characters in the clue. But this experiment with Cumia proved unpopular, so it's unlikely I'll do it again, even if it is a great way to jeopardize scores at the end of a round.

Erik Bates | March 31, 2006
[hidden by request]

Scott Horowitz | March 31, 2006
Sure Erik, you bitch over everything :) hehehe

Want to participate? Please create an account a new account or log in.