Scott Hardie | December 1, 2017
The ballots are open. You have until December 31 to cast your votes. I can't wait to see what you all choose. :-)

What do you make of 2017's movies?

Erik Bates | December 6, 2017
I usually spend this time frantically writing half-assed reviews of movies I've seen this year so I can vote for them.

Turns out, I didn't see many movies this year.

Scott Hardie | December 8, 2017
Yeah, I'm once again disappointed in how few movies I've gotten around to seeing. I used to see something like 50-70 new movies every year in addition to classic older movies, and now it's a banner year if I get around to seeing 10. It's partly due to Kelly and I being able to agree on so few titles (we wind up with so many superhero movies because it's one of the few genres we can both enjoy), and partly due to TV being so good that I feel completely sucked into television lately, and partly due to having a busier social life with less time to devote to my old love of movies. Samir, you have kids; I don't know how you find the time! I'll try to see a few more films before the end of the year (we already have our Last Jedi tickets), but I wouldn't be surprised if the crappy Dark Tower makes my top-ten list because I never got around to seeing an eleventh film. :-(

Erik Bates | December 8, 2017
TV is getting much, much stronger.

Perhaps we should branch out into Predict the Emmys?

Scott Hardie | December 8, 2017
I've thought about offering Thorough Television Reviews, but I doubt I would have enough to say about individual episodes to make it worthwhile, and TC scratches my itch for discussing an entire season or series at a time. But other people's experience could well be different. Is there a lot of interest in trying TV reviews on this site?

Samir Mehta | December 8, 2017
[hidden by author request]

Erik Bates | December 8, 2017
It would be difficult, and there would be a lot of gaps when individual episodes don't get reviewed. If nothing else, a general review of a show, or a review-by-season could potentially work. What would begin as a review would turn into a conversation around the show as episodes are mentionable.

Really sounds like more of an extension of Tragic Comedy when I put it that way.

(Also, I throw this out here flippantly like it's 5 simple lines of code that Scott could put together in an afternoon, when I know that is clearly not the case.)

Scott Hardie | December 13, 2017
I don't know; I just fear that a TV reviews feature wouldn't get used, and I don't want to have a section of the site sitting around not getting used. We barely have any movie discussions despite there being a simple form right there on the page to start one. (Technically the form suggests the title to me and I start the discussion, but it has gotten exactly zero submissions in the year and a half since I created it.) I would feel obligated to write TV reviews myself to keep the feature alive, and I have enough to do. I'll keep the idea in mind to revisit if the site grows to the point where enough people might participate. Thanks for suggesting it!

Erik Bates | December 13, 2017
That does make good sense, Scott. A one-person discussion isn't much of a discussion, is it? :)

Want to participate? Please create an account a new account or log in.

Other Discussions Started by Scott Hardie

I Know Who Killed It

Is Lindsay Lohan's career salvageable? Go »

Post No Cones

Coming home from work, I found two pine cones in our closed mailbox, without explanation. The floor is open to speculation as to the reason. Go »

Aflixion

I saw a pair of good articles about Netflix recently: - The One Killer Feature Netflix is Still Missing, a brilliant idea - Go »

My Book Collection

There's a new feature on Scott's Home Page. I'm plugging it because I rarely update that site these days, and because I happen to like the new feature. Go »

Eating Your Paste

Anybody know a way, using Javascript or otherwise, to keep an html form from accepting text pasted in from the clipboard, so that it only accepts typed text? It stopped for a while during the hiatus, but now that the goo game has resumed, so too has th Go »

Random Stuff

Now in Technicolor: TC brings you News Of The Day! - My cousins Tripp and Danietta are having a baby, their first. Go »