Scott Hardie | August 6, 2016
The season is upon us! Who wants in on Funeratic Football 2016? Please comment here if you want to be added as a team manager; there's room for plenty of players. The draft will occur on Saturday September 3 at 10am eastern / 9am central. Rule changes are up for debate until that time; I'll go with the consensus. Let's pretend to play some football!

Steve West | August 6, 2016
I wanna pretend!

Justin Woods | August 7, 2016
I think we can do it again too!

Scott Hardie | August 7, 2016
Invitations are in the (electronic) mail. Anybody else?

My preference is to eliminate divisions and just have us all in one big division so that everybody plays everybody. What do you think?

Erik Bates | August 8, 2016
[hidden by request]

Scott Hardie | August 9, 2016
Erik, your invitation has been sent just now. Everybody, please let me know if yours never arrived.

Scott Hardie | August 15, 2016
One player's invitation never arrived, so I'm re-sending. I can only re-send to everybody at once who has not yet created their team. So, sorry for the duplicate invitations.

Samir Mehta | August 19, 2016
[hidden by request]

Chris Lemler | August 26, 2016
Scott if there is room and I can still get in i will play

Scott Hardie | August 26, 2016
Chris and Samir, your invitations have been sent to the addresses that you have on file here on Funeratic. Please let me know if you have any trouble.

There's still plenty of room for more teams to join, and eight days until the draft. Does anyone else want to play?

Jesse King | August 28, 2016
I'll give it a go if there's still time and room for another team.

Steve West | August 28, 2016
Awesome. New blood to kick my behind!

Scott Hardie | August 29, 2016
Glad to have you aboard, Jesse! Your invitation has just been sent.

Scott Hardie | September 2, 2016
Our draft is at 10am Eastern tomorrow! If you can't be online at that time, I suggest setting up your auto-draft preferences beforehand, or you'll get what ESPN's algorithms think are best for you, and they're not so good. ESPN will randomly select the draft order at 9am Eastern.

I have eliminated the divisions and combined us all into one so that we all get to play each other a roughly equal number of times. Here's the schedule.

Happy drafting, managers.

Steve West | September 3, 2016
Is the draft room open?

Scott Hardie | September 3, 2016
I'm in the room now. This is the link that I have, minus my user id on the end.

If you look at your team profile and you're logged in, there should be a bright red bar across the page saying "your snake draft is now in progress." Click on the launch-now button.

I must be completely stupid. I don't know how to enter.

You are logged in, correct? I presume that the red bar is not appearing for you. What happens when you try to follow that link?

I'm logged in but don't see any link to enter draft.

How about this link which is the "lite" version (not using Flash)?

"You do not have access to this page"

Red bar message - "Your Snake draft is in progress"

What about this link which is the same thing but specifies your team (team 2) in the url?

Wtf, ESPN. "Your draft is in progress, but you can't join it." Thanks.

Is anybody else having trouble? Justin just joined the draft room.

"You do not have access to this page"

ESPN's help section has no answers for this. "Auto draft" is an option only per league, not per team, as far as I can tell.

Justin left the room, so I'm alone in there again. I'm fine rescheduling the draft for another time. Mostly I'd like to hear whether anybody else is having the same trouble or if Steve is the only one. :-(

Justin is back in. Still nobody else.

Dumb question but just checking, you don't have multiple ESPN accounts, do you? I have two and can imagine being logged into the wrong one.

Don't believe so.

Can Justin share how he logged in?

You can also try a different browser I guess. Chrome seems to have some issues with the room.

Joanna also cannot get in, on her iPad app.

It's official, I'll reschedule the draft, probably for tomorrow or Monday. Whatever happens in the room now will be reset.

My apologies to the players affected by this -- Justin who got in, Steve who set aside time, Joanna who auto-drafted her most-wanted player even without getting in, and everybody else too. Let's keep trying to figure this out.

The draft has been reset/canceled, so the links will no longer work and the red bar will no longer appear, until it's been rescheduled.

Steve, does the mock draft app work for you? Joanna, how about you?

Justin Woods | September 3, 2016
She has access to ESPN but the league doesn't even show up anymore.

but if she logs in on her iPad via safari the league shows up but can't use the draft option b/c safari doesn't support Flash. Odd!!!

The mock draft works fine.

trying to get her to re join the league but even when I search for it on the directory nothing comes up. "Funeratic Football" no results found.

Ok not sure how this happens but now she can't rejoin the league getting this "Invite does not exist in LeagueMember" using the email address that was sent to her.

wow we finally got her in!!!

She is already in the league. If she's logged in, does she not see her team when she goes into the fantasy section? Or to the league page?

so she can't see it on the iPad app but we logged in on another PC and we can see the league now.

K, trying a few other things with Steve. I'm tentatively rescheduling for 11am.

Are we the only four people trying this? It's a holiday weekend so maybe everyone else is out traveling.

okay sounds good. we have a backup with the other PC, not sure why it won't sync to the app!

Can you resend the invite to Joanna and will see if she can get in on her iPAD?

Now I cannot see the link for the 11am draft, for which the room should be open. I seem to be in the same boat Steve was earlier. And he's out of the boat completely, as when he logs in, he shows that he's in a different league completely with unfamiliar teams, even though I still see his team under my manager tools. Seriously, wtf ESPN.

ESPN doesn't seem to offer an option to re-send the invitiation after the team has been created. If she has a second email address that you give me in a private message, I can set it as the "second owner" of the team.

Well, I got into the draft room. I seem to be alone so far.

I have no idea I did a draft last week and all was good and I have never had this much trouble with ESPN. I see that the draft is open now. and we can both see it.

Yeah, ESPN has until now been the stable platform for fantasy sports for me. This is bizarre.

I'm trying to get a grip on Steve's problems. I'm going to delete his team from the league and let him recreate it, but in order to do that, I have to cancel the draft again. I'll restart it in a few minutes, still for 11am, but only if all four of us can get in. Sorry for the trouble...

I can get in too, but now Joanna sees the snake draft has started but no link to join draft. WTF

It might be 11:15 or 11:30 when we start this. I'm waiting for Steve to make his "new" team before I set the draft time.

okay, everything seems to be working on all devices for me. Must be all the drafting going on today!

Are you still with us, Steve? Setting up your team?

I hope this is not a sign of things to come with GooCon next month. The last time we tried a live RB tournament, getting it going was similarly bumpy. It almost feels like flying across the country to have GooCon in person is less error-prone than trying this kind of simultaneous online interaction. Oh well, one advantage to an online GooCon is that my car will not suffer yet another mechanical failure...

that is a plus. but yeah seems that online interaction has not gone well for us. Next time a conf call might be an option as well for the draft.

Yeah, good idea.

I don't think Steve is online any more, as his new team hasn't been set up yet. Let's try this again later. Does 10am ET tomorrow work for you all?

Can we do 11AM EST?

Sure thing. Let's try again then, and I'll set up a conference call. Maybe we can even get other team managers who weren't able to join us today. Have a good Saturday. :-)

Sounds good, you too!

Erik Bates | September 3, 2016
[hidden by request]

Sorry you missed us today, Erik. But I guess we missed us too.

Clicking Join League button gives message "Invite does not exist in LeagueMember".

The join league button in the email, you mean?

I started there. It sent me to the league page and that's where the message appeared when clicking the Join league button.

I added you and it created "Team West" on your behalf. Are you able to manage it?

What do you all want to do if we try again tomorrow and it still fails the same way as today? Give up on the season? Do some kind of auto-draft and let the chips fall where they may? Try again later on a less busy weekend?

So far, so good, thanks.

Hey, full-speed ahead - whatever that takes.

Scott Hardie | September 4, 2016
Here is a videoconference for today's draft. Please plug in headphones before joining, to avoid a feedback loop.

So far I'm alone in ESPN's draft room. I hope everyone else can get in.

Steve is in the draft room! This is a big step forward from yesterday. Now to see if Joanna and Justin can both get in at once, and Erik and anyone else who wants to participate. I see that Chris has already set himself to auto-draft, so he shouldn't be there.

Justin was in briefly.

Someone has joined videoconference but I cannot see them or hear them. A ghost perhaps? :-)

If anybody has trouble with the draft at all, please let me know by 11am.

Well, it took a long time to get here, but at last we have had a successful draft. I hope everybody is satisfied with their selections. This should be a fun season. :-)

Steve West | September 4, 2016
Awesome. Looks like a fun time awaits.

Chris Lemler | September 4, 2016
Sorry guys by the time I try to get in the draft I couldn't get in the draft so I will have to do with who I got

Scott Hardie | September 25, 2016
Just a heads up in case you wonder about the owners list: Joanna is having technical difficulties with ESPN's website, very similar to those experienced by Steve and me during the draft. I've been trying to add her as a second owner to her own team so that she can bench an injured player today, but it's not working and time is running out, so we're adding Justin as a second owner to get that player reassignment to happen. This is only expected to be a temporary setup until the problem is resolved shortly; I don't intend to leave Justin or anybody else in control of multiple teams. :-)

We never did get that second owner working, even when I tried it on myself. I could edit Joanna's roster as the league manager, but it turns out that all of this is moot: According to the rules of our league, team rosters are frozen as of the start of the first game of the week, on Thursday night. Even without the login problems, Joanna shouldn't be able to edit her roster today for a game later this afternoon, as none of us should. I'm leaving her with the injured player (I'm stuck with one myself), and I feel bad about all of this. :-( But I wonder if we should change this rule to allow editing of the roster up until each player's individual game. Assuming that I can even edit that rule after the current week ends, would you like to make that change going forward?

Steve West | September 25, 2016
Yes, edit the rule. It makes sense to me that you should not be able to move starters in Thursday's line-up from one hour to scheduled kick-off. You should not be able to use these players for waiver acquisitions, either. The same rules should apply for other games during the week (Sat. Sun. Mon.) on those respective days - not Thursday.

Justin Woods | September 25, 2016
Yes we should change it. I don't think I have played a league with that set that way as it can almost change on a Friday who will be out of a game on Sunday.

Agreed. I'll change the rule after this week if I don't hear objections.

Football players have other skills too. This story was fun. (Warning, auto-playing video at the bottom.)

Justin Woods | September 26, 2016
Update: Well the good news we got the emails for 2nd owner but still could not login and her account is still not synced with her team.

Scott Hardie | September 26, 2016
I deleted all of the previous "second owners" so those emails wouldn't work now of course. I just added her again as "second owner" so let's see what happens. I have to say, I've been a happy ESPN user for years, but I'm ready to ditch them after this season. I don't know what happened.

Joanna Woods | September 27, 2016
That seemed to work. Thank you, thank you, thank you....

Scott Hardie | September 27, 2016
Finally! I'm glad to hear it.

The rule has been edited regarding lineup changes. You should now be able to move around each player up until his scheduled game time.

Erik, I am blown away by your comeback last night. I was leading by something like 50 points, but your top players took the field and that was it for me. Congrats.

Erik Bates | September 27, 2016
[hidden by request]

Scott Hardie | September 27, 2016
I would mind if i hadn't won multiple weeks in fantasy baseball that way. Hooray for random good luck!

Scott Hardie | January 2, 2017
That's a season. Thanks for playing, everybody! The final outcome had me defeat Steve in the championship, Justin defeat Joanna in the winner's consolation bracket, and Samir defeat Chris and Erik defeat Jesse in the consolation ladder. I had fun playing every week and I hope you did too, regardless of the outcome. The season had a rocky start with ESPN's technical difficulties, but it was worth playing.

Should we do this again this fall, and if so, should we change any of the rules or terms?

Scott Hardie | January 2, 2017
A waiver wire would even the odds a little, for instance.

Steve West | January 2, 2017
Congrats on the win. I could have used a different kicker and WR and maybe stood a chance. Waiver sounds good. Making the playoffs one week earlier, if possible, so nobody has to deal with figuring out who's playing the final week would be nice.

Erik Bates | January 3, 2017
[hidden by request]

Samir Mehta | January 3, 2017
[hidden by request]

Want to participate? Please create an account a new account or log in.