Does the Google Zeitgeist 2011 report sound accurate to you?

100%
0 votes
Everything right, but wrong order
0 votes
Mostly what I expected
2 votes
WTF?
2 votes

Erik Bates | December 16, 2011
[hidden by request]

Erik Bates | December 16, 2011
[hidden by request]

Scott Hardie | December 16, 2011
Obscurity may be a significant factor. Rebecca Black reached #1 on the list not because she was the dominant newsmaker of the year (please), but because her name was everywhere and many people looked her up after hearing it. She had the "gotta look it up and watch it" video of the year, that's for sure. So I expect that people searched for Ryan Dunn wanting to know more about him after his passing, whereas Rooney was already well-known to anybody who cared to know. (Me, I hadn't heard of Dunn until I researched a goo theme consisting of famous people with the same names as our players.)

Not to turn this into a goo game conversation, but I used to check Google Trends for celebrity ideas back when the schedule wasn't dominated by themes. I barely knew a third of the trending names back then, and I would probably recognize even fewer today.

Is the idea of that many people Googling "google plus" kind of weird or is it just me? This is presuming that Google is telling the truth about it being such a popular term.

Steve West | December 17, 2011
No Beiber? No GaGa? No Royals? No Charlie Sheen? They must be on a list I haven't seen, musn't they? I blame myself for being too disinterested to look deeper.

Erik Bates | December 17, 2011
[hidden by request]

Steve Dunn | December 18, 2011
It's measuring the fastest growing searches, so one-week sensations will rank higher than people or things searched throughout the year.

Want to participate? Please create an account a new account or log in.