Scott Hardie | January 13, 2020
Our annual contest returns for its 21st year. Good luck!

Any early predictions? Any surprise at some of the nominees?

Erik Bates | January 13, 2020
Tom Hanks supporting actor?

Who the hell is he supporting?

He’s Fred Rogers! It’s a movie literally about his character.

Scott Hardie | January 18, 2020
I heard that A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood was supposed to be about the reporter, and how he changes as a result of his conversations with Rogers. But I haven't seen it to be sure. I can't find online how much screen time Tom Hanks and Matthew Rhys each have.

I continue to be amazed by Joker's acclaim. As I said elsewhere, I skipped it because it looked like male-grievance trash, an 8chan thread adapted to film. But now it's nominated for more Oscars than any other film of the year, and likely to win several. I guess if Braveheart and Gladiator can win Best Picture with the same violent-male-revenge-fantasy appeal, why not Joker too?

Samir Mehta | January 18, 2020
[hidden by request]

Want to participate? Please create an account a new account or log in.

Other Discussions Started by Scott Hardie

Political Caption, May 16th

Here's the new one this week, Alan Greenspan. (Next week I'll integrate it into the site.) Go »

Bad Boy!

This news story is the very definition of grisly, so don't read it if you are easily grossed out. From the Tampa Tribune: Oct 15, 2003 - TAMPA - Six-year-old Dontavius Bryant went to sleep Sunday night with Chauka, his 5 1/2-week-old puppy his aunt gave him two weeks ago. Go »

Let the Truth Be Told

Finally, someone else who thinks the Winter Olympics are boring. Go »

Scary Clowns

Will clowns reach a tipping point where they are considered horror characters more than their traditional role as silly entertainers? Go »

King of Queens

I'm embarrassed to be complaining about such an asinine thing, but I want to get it off my chest. I caught parts of a first-run "King of Queens" episode tonight. Go »

Wherefore Art Thou ----?

A three-part poll: How did you get your name? If you have children, how did you choose their names? Go »