Erik Bates | April 26, 2008
[hidden by request]

Scott Hardie | April 27, 2008
Erik! Your goos are so hard to figure out! So tricky!

Joanna Woods | April 27, 2008
I admit it took me a few hours to find it. It took Justin several days. He got mad at me b/c it didn't take me as long.... :-)

Tony Peters | April 27, 2008
Damn....it took me like 5 minutes to find the source photo but I pretty much knew who is was from the clue

Mike Eberhart | April 29, 2008
I figured it out in about 30 seconds... Sorry.

Aaron Shurtleff | April 29, 2008
Well, Erik, I must be in the mentally handicapped minority, because I still can't figure it out after several days of staring at it.

And it's Music, which pisses me off even more. Thanks a lot! >:(

Can we ban Erik from suggesting GOOs? I think he gets some kind of perverse pleasure in seeing people in pain!

;)

Steve Dunn | April 30, 2008
I figured it out in 30 seconds, but if it makes you feel any better, I can't get the "two abdications" goo.

Eric Wallhagen | April 30, 2008
I'm with Aaron on this one... I'm pretty sure I've googled every pairing, and paraphrase of every word in the entire clue, and then googled every resulting person/place/thing/movie/song/whatever even further, and I'm about where I started... No where. I can't fathom how if you didn't know who it was before hand, that you can find it from this clue...

Tony Peters | April 30, 2008
2 abdications is driving me NUTZ

Amy Austin | April 30, 2008
Wow, that's pretty cool... just goes to show how different the factors can be for every person playing. I'm with Steve -- less than 10 seconds, but I'm wracking my brain over the abdications!

Erik Bates | April 30, 2008
[hidden by request]

Erik Bates | April 30, 2008
[hidden by request]

Scott Hardie | April 30, 2008
I apologize for leaning too hard on player requests during the opening phase of the round, when the game should be a lot easier. I could tell these requests were better suited to the middle or end of the round instead, but I was short on time.

On the other hand, please, keep 'em coming! It's a lot easier for me to publish a goo that's already made. Writing clues is the hardest part.

And once again, my ability to predict a goo's difficulty is way off.

Eric Wallhagen | May 1, 2008
Got it at the 11th hour. Daaaamn was that a hard one though. Well done Erik.

Russ Wilhelm | May 1, 2008
I thought it was a very well done clue Erik. I don't know how long I searched for it, I know I got it fairly quickly, but I didn't know how to search it right off the bat. I had to think about it, and that is the challenge.

That being said, I guess that "two abdications" must be my crowning achievement, even if it was unexpected. I just found the goo interesting and eventually came up with a clue I thought was worthy of submitting, that fairly well sums up my process. The difficulty level was never foremost in my thoughts. If you read the bio, you may find it interesting as well.

Erik Bates | May 1, 2008
[hidden by request]

Lori Lancaster | May 1, 2008
[hidden by request]

Erik Bates | May 1, 2008
[hidden by request]

Tony Peters | May 3, 2008
weeeeeee I got a Lori goo in less than 5 minutes

Erik Bates | May 3, 2008
[hidden by request]

Scott Hardie | May 5, 2008
One more hard goo tomorrow (Tuesday), then we'll go back to mostly easy ones, I promise.

Tony Peters | May 5, 2008
Russ...Abdication doesn't apply as per deffinition to an elected office but rather to an inheirited position...

Amy Austin | May 5, 2008
Not true... though I agree that the nature of the clue was painfully misleading -- I don't know how the hell so many people got it right, especially since my after-the-fact search tells me that I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have gotten it... no way, no how. "Good one", Russ... yeah.

wiki = The term commonly applies to monarchs, or those who have been formally crowned. A similar term for an elected or appointed official is resignation.

webster = abdicate implies a giving up of sovereign power; resign applies to the giving up of an unexpired office

dictionary.com = to renounce or relinquish a throne, right, power, claim, responsibility, or the like, esp. in a formal manner

free dictionary.com = give up, such as power, as of monarchs and emperors, or duties and obligations

the context of Abdication as applied to leadership has nearly always been in the context of royalty/monarchy not elected officials with the excepting of the pope in 1044, 1046 1295 1409 and maybe 308 and 366

Amy Austin | May 5, 2008
Merriam-Webster's Online (my bold added for emphasis) --

abdicate

Main Entry: ab·di·cate
Pronunciation: \ˈab-di-ˌkāt\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): ab·di·cat·ed; ab·di·cat·ing
Etymology: Latin abdicatus, past participle of abdicare, from ab- + dicare to proclaim — more at diction
Date: 1541
transitive verb
1 : to cast off : discard
2 : to relinquish (as sovereign power) formally
intransitive verb
: to renounce a throne, high office, dignity, or function

— ab·di·ca·ble \-kə-bəl\ adjective
— ab·di·ca·tion \ˌab-di-ˈkā-shən\ noun
— ab·di·ca·tor \ˈab-di-ˌkā-tər\ noun
synonyms abdicate, renounce, resign mean to give up a position with no possibility of resuming it. abdicate implies a giving up of sovereign power or sometimes an evading of responsibility such as that of a parent . renounce may replace it but often implies additionally a sacrifice for a greater end . resign applies to the giving up of an unexpired office or trust .

I understand the word and its varied conterxts quite well, which is why I had a very hard time looking for anything other than monarchs, too, and why you'll notice that I didn't even submit a guess after many, many hours of looking for NON-ROYAL successors to abdications -- the abdications did not refer to the goo itself, and Royalty was not a category, either... this was enough information for me to know that the subject was not a royal himself, but not enough to help me find him. "High office" and "sovereign power" are not exclusive to royalty, either. Even your own third and fourth sample definitions aren't limited to monarchs.
You're beginning to appear pretty crunchy and good with ketchup to me right now,Tony.

Yes my Draconian friend I agree that it can be used in multiple contexts but the primary use when referring to leadership has historically been in reference to sovereigns anointed by god not sworn on a religious document written by man (no offense to anyone intended) When one says world leader abdicates one normally thinks of something like Edward VIII not Richard Nixon

Lori Lancaster | May 6, 2008
[hidden by request]

Russ Wilhelm | May 6, 2008
Resign may be the first term that comes to mind when speaking of our own government officials, but it is not the only term that could be applied. Abandon, step down, quit, relinquish,.... and yes, abdicate. I checked it out before I used it.

If you could say, inarguably, that presidents cannot abdicate and Monarchs cannot resign, in any sense ot the word, then I would have to agree with you. But as you youself state, abdication is commonly, implied, nearly always, normally thought of when referred to Monarchs, Emporers,...

If still not satisfied, then perhaps you could think of it as a play on words. I'm certain that there are plenty of examples in the archive that can support that methodology.

But all things being equal, canis lupus familiaris is still no less a dog.

Tony Peters | May 6, 2008
c'est la vie... I missed it...I chased the meaning of the word and not the situation the word was conveying...the really annoying thing to me was the fact that I have seen the source photo recently, I knew that but not where or in what context so I spent a ton of time reviewing all the jpg's in my temp files

Joanna Woods | May 6, 2008
Some how I found a definition that stated that it could pertain to government positions. I can't find it now, but it got me to think about the presidents. I didn't know that answer so I went through a wikipedia list of presidents starting at the bottom, eliminating the ones I knew, and found him.

Allison Bair | May 7, 2008
I missed the abdication goo, but I thought it was a good one. It required some thinking, but the clue did lead directly to the answer if I would have thought about it a little harder or from a slightly different angle. Erik, I've thought both your music goos were really good, in a similar way.

Aaron Shurtleff | May 7, 2008
The funny thing is when I looked at the GOO, I thought it kind of looked like him, but I figured it probably wasn't. Got to go with the instincts sometimes, I guess. :)

Erik Bates | May 13, 2008
[hidden by request]

Scott Hardie | May 18, 2008
Player requests will return shortly.

I hope you enjoyed College Week. The other person that I considered for the silly final goo was "The Professor" from Gilligan's Island. In looking at photos of the man, I realized that if Hollywood remade the series today as a feature film, he would be played by Thomas Jane.

click image to zoom

Scott Hardie | January 5, 2009
Lori still has the record for most requests published, but Chris has overtaken her in most pending requests in my database, and that's after already publishing two of his this round. Looks like Lori and Erik have some new competition.

Lori Lancaster | January 5, 2009
[hidden by request]

Scott Hardie | January 6, 2009
Is that for me or for Chris? :-)

Lori Lancaster | January 6, 2009
[hidden by request]

Want to participate? Please create an account a new account or log in.