Scott Horowitz | February 3, 2005
Let the thread begin

Jackie Mason | February 3, 2005
[hidden by request]

Kris Weberg | February 3, 2005
Had a class on morality and various forms of asylum during the SOTU. How strangely appropriate.

Anna Gregoline | February 3, 2005
I don't like watching it either. It's always so much rhetoric, no matter who's talking.

It's fun to watch as a drinking game; take a shot every time he says "freedom," "terrorists" or "terrorism," and "democracy in the Middle East. Two shots if he mentiones Al Quaeda or Osama bin Laden by name, and buy plane tickets after chugging the bottle if war with Iran and/or Syria comes up.

Anna Gregoline | February 3, 2005
Oh man, that's too easy. I think I'd be dead drunk within the first few minutes.

In all seriousness, there were somethings he said that I liked some I completely disagree with. I liked some of what he said about healthcare (personally I feel this is the #1 domestic issue we need to worry about). I vehemently disagree with his idea for privatizing social security in a "government issued 401k". I also think that his stance on stem cell research is hurting the medical community extremely. So many good things can come from it, and the pro-life stance is detrimental to society in this instance.

Scott Hardie | February 3, 2005
Whee. I'm glad I'm not conservative, or I wouldn't be able to read this discussion up until now without wanting to punch somebody. And y'all wonder why Mike seems cranky.

Please tell me I'm not the only State-of-the-Union viewer driven mad by the near constant eruptions of applause, especially when they turn into prolonged standing ovations every few minutes. Look, I like the president up to a point too, but if I went to that speech it would be to hear the man talk, not to interrupt him every fifteen words with a shower of gratitude best left for one big blast at the end. It's the same damn reason I can't bring myself to watch football: Brief spurts of interesting content, between long and increasingly frustrating pauses.

You're not the only one.

Personally, I can't stand the SOTU as an institution. Doesn't matter who's President, really -- it's basically a cross between a campaign speech and a wish list, and just about everything that's said in a SOTU will either never come to pass or will come to pass in a different form because of the checks-and-balances system.

Stop wasting hours writing, rehearsing, and giving a speech, and DO THINGS.

I personally think the President should hire a comedian to give the SOTU on their behalf. George W. Bush's State of the Union 2005 presented by George Carlin

Hell, he may beat Desperate Housewives ratings with that.

Erik Bates | February 3, 2005
[hidden by request]

John E Gunter | February 3, 2005
[quote]Personally, I can't stand the SOTU as an institution. Doesn't matter who's President, really -- it's basically a cross between a campaign speech and a wish list, and just about everything that's said in a SOTU will either never come to pass or will come to pass in a different form because of the checks-and-balances system.

Stop wasting hours writing, rehearsing, and giving a speech, and DO THINGS.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly Kris.

I'm of the same opinion as you Scott, why interupt the man so often. The intruptions are why I only watch football if I'm at the game. Course, that wouldn't be the case with an SOTU, but...

John

Erik Bates | February 3, 2005
[hidden by request]

Lori Lancaster | February 3, 2005
[hidden by request]

Amy Austin | February 7, 2005
Weberg 01:23/Gunter 09:49, February 3rd:

Hear, hear... I third that opinion!

Want to participate? Please create an account a new account or log in.