Scott Hardie | August 16, 2006
The game is easier these days on purpose, but wow, did I make today's goo way too obvious or is it just me?

Jackie Mason | August 16, 2006
[hidden by request]

Aaron Shurtleff | August 17, 2006
Oh, sure! I finally string together a bunch of correct guesses in the GOO game, and you shatter my ego by saying the game is easier! Do you know how long it took me to figure out a work friendly way to search for the information to figure out Spencer Tunick?!? Days!!!

Anyhow, I don't think goo 804 was that easy.

Lori Lancaster | August 17, 2006
[hidden by request]

Tony Peters | August 17, 2006
no joke aaron I was trying all kinds of wording to find the answer. I knew who it was I ws looking for immediatly I just could remember the name. Todays was very very easy BTW

Scott Hardie | August 19, 2006
This is going to sound crabby, but it's not easy running the goo game. When I put up a gimme like Johnny Depp, friends and web visitors mock it for being "a real mindbender" etc, but then I put up one that's tougher but still guessable like Spencer Tunick and I get this. I can't even put up a plain old medium goo without certain veteran players joking(?) that those are the hardest and I'm doing it to spite them. Does anybody actually like the difficulty of any goos? Let's just agree to go with the flow; if a goo comes along that isn't your thing, there will be another new one tomorrow. With occasional exceptions, the general trend I'm trying to pull off is towards easier goos, both easier to recognize and easier to research, because there will be plenty of time for real mindbenders in the elimination phase.

Btw, the most consistent incorrect guess for Tunick was an infamous artistic photographer of naked children. I can't wait to use that in a future Do-Over Week and see what research you wind up doing then. :-)

Adrianne Rodgers | August 19, 2006
Aww man.....I saw the Spencer Tunick one and I said, "I'm not even going to go there!" That could make for some very uncomfortable explainations on my part. And just "famous photographers" isn't enough, btw. In any case, I just like playing the goo game. It's much more addictive than I thought it would be. And I'm so clueless when it comes to celebrities that when an easier one comes along, I just relish the opportunity to not look like a moron. And when I get the tougher ones, I pat myself on the back and shop around for a good travel agent for ego trips.

But if I had to choose, I think the most obvious one was 0803. It was almost too obvious. The right answer was the first thing that popped into my head, but I said, nahhhh, that would be too easy. Reverse psychology.....oooh.....

Amy Austin | August 19, 2006
...certain veteran players joking(?)...

Eh, wot?

Aaron Shurtleff | August 21, 2006
Scott, I wasn't complaining in the least, and I apologize if what I said was taken that way. I just was trying to be funny. I'm no GOO novice, but I think I'm far from one of its greatest players. I do enjoy putting together a string of guesses (I already busted my streak now, though...) And, seriously, I realize that only having computer access at work is giving me a disadvantage, but that's my problem, not yours, and I'd never expect you to change anything for me.

Difficulty is subjective, anyways. What one person finds outrageously difficult, might be moronically simple for someone else. We all have diffferent knowledge bases, and we can't all know everything. PLus, research styles are different, too.

Bottom line, if we didn't love the game, we wouldn't be here. Thank you, Scott, for keeping us happy and entertained!

Amy Austin | August 21, 2006
What he said.

Scott Hardie | August 22, 2006
And thank you for playing and enjoying it so much, which allows me to continue. I occasionally complain about the game, as in my crabby rant above, but I love it too.

I recognized your kidding for emphasis, Aaron, but I mistook whether that was a true statement beneath it. Damn Internet.

Aaron Shurtleff | August 22, 2006
Here you go, Scott. This is intended to show you that we love you.

*looks at tomorrow's Goo*

Oh crap! A Lori Lancaster GOO?! That'll be impossible hard! *swoon*

See? Now we can make fun of Lori! (No offense, of course, Lori!) ;)

Amy Austin | August 23, 2006
Heheh...

Lori Lancaster | August 23, 2006
[hidden by request]

Jackie Mason | August 23, 2006
[hidden by request]

Amy Austin | August 23, 2006
Yes, I do, Lori... that was a good one! ;-D

Scott Hardie | August 23, 2006
Just found it by surfing, Jackie. Grayscale goos are not my cup of tea, and I was faced with a week of nearly all grayscale goos by having them all be historical figures, so I sought out color images like this wherever I could find them. Originally I decided I'd substitute an image of a movie star if I couldn't find a color image (like a photo of Val Kilmer in Tombstone for Doc Holliday), but then it turned into Movie Stars Playing Cowboys Week, so I backed off.

Lori Lancaster | August 23, 2006
[hidden by request]

Scott Hardie | August 27, 2006
Good idea, Lori; I didn't even think of that. It would have made the goos harder to research, since the find-the-source-photo research technique was especially effective during that themed week due to each celebrity having only a handful of surviving photographs, and this could have neutralized that possibility.

Want to participate? Please create an account a new account or log in.