This celebrity goo was created by player Samir Mehta.
Scott Hardie provided the gooed image, category, and difficulty, made minor changes to the clue provided by Samir, and wrote the explanation.

publication date: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 (part of Spring 2015)

category: Humanitarianism

clue: Even though 87.5% of him could ride anywhere he wanted, it was the other 12.5% that he was fighting for. Sadly, the 12.5% was doomed for years. His life could have made a good follow-up to The Odyssey—someone should tell Homer.

explanation: Plessy was a 1/8-black civil rights advocate who challenged the racist segregation laws of 1890s Louisiana by passing as white and riding in whites-only cars. His defeat at the U.S. Supreme Court in Plessy v. Ferguson established "separate but equal" for decades to come. more…

difficulty: hard

solved by: Russ Wilhelm, Steve West, LaVonne Lemler, Justin Woods, Chris Lemler, and Joanna Woods

trivia: The source image appeared on various websites attributed to both Plessy and former Louisiana governor Pinckney Pinchback. Per the rules of the game, Scott disallowed the guesses for Pinchback.


Similar Goos

Hong Xiuquan

Heavenly visions can lead to great disasters, especially when you think you're God's other son. Go »

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Pacifism is noble, but sometimes even saints may resort to violence so that the coming generation shall continue to live. Go »

George Sutherland

It takes a weird legal mind to deny citizenship because someone is Caucasian, but not white. Go »

John Denver

He named himself after the largest metropolis in his favorite mountain state, but deep down, he was glad to be a country boy. Go »

Drake

It took him seven years to get out of public school, but now this Canadian rapper is so far gone that it's too late for a comeback. Go »

Jim Carrey

If you claimed to be a grinch who doesn't like this almighty star of dumb and dumber comedies, someone might call you a liar-liar. Go »